We were a small group this week, with only two students, Nicholas and Patrick. I'm sorry so many are sickly. :-( In Opening Time, we got a chance to hear the Word of God proclaimed -- by Patrick! He was able to say the first ten verses that we have learned in one sitting, so he earned a star for his badge. Praise God for giving us His Word, for young minds that are like sponges, and for diligent children and parents who are making Scripture part of their very thoughts by memorizing it. I know that many of the children who were absent will also know the Scriptures when they come back in January -- so just keep listening to the CD over Christmas break. (I would like to make another version with the Pursells singing the verses and playing their instruments -- wouldn't that be great?)
Because this was our Christmas Class, we did a Gospel presentation. I used
Teddy Bears dressed in fireman suits, an example used by John Piper, to make the point that we made earlier in the year --that we are not saved by being good, but by trusting Christ to give us His righteousness and take our punishment. Justification is like a fireman's coat that you wear. Even though we are still bad, God counts us as righteous and His righteous wrath against sin is taken by Jesus instead of by us. When a fireman goes into a fire, his coat saves him from the flames. He would die if he had to face the flames without his coat. Jesus does the same thing. He gives us His goodness and takes the penalty for our sinfulness. We would die if we had to face the penalty for our sins without Jesus. I did use the word "justification," and their eyes sort of glazed over, of course, at that big word. Still, I think that it's helpful to teach them the correct theological words, so they "grow into" them and are used to hearing them.
I also explained that after we have put our faith in Christ, and have been "justified" or "credited with perfect goodness" before God forever, little by little He changes us inside and makes us better and better, which is called "sanctification." But we will never be perfectly righteous until we are with Him in heaven.
I have little stuffed Teddy Bears with fireman suits for all the children, so I will look for those who missed Wednesday's class at church this Sunday or send the bears home with parents if there are still little sicklies. (The Lord provided these bears at Dollar Tree! A perfect illustration/Christmas gift.)
I did go ahead and teach the new verse, (Exodus 20: 13-15) which was actually three commandments rolled into one. I explained adultery as when someone acts like they are married to someone who is not their husband or wife. Both boys made appropriately disgusted faces, and we moved on to the next thing. The children now know nine of the 10 commandments.
Have a wonderful Christmas, and we'll be back together before we know it. I thank God every time I think of you.
Friday, 5 December 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment