God's steadfast love is the emphasis of this story about the faithlessness of the Israelites. Israel had just promised to do "all that the Lord had spoken," then broke the second commandment and made an idol. Yet God did not remove His love from them. He honored the promise He had made to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
We spent our Opening Time, matching up dominoes on a template that spelled out Psalm 119:105: "Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." The children were very good at this, and Mia and Lucas especially were into it. With the large group, we reviewed all the verses.
As our Class Time began, I gave each child some beads cut from straws and a length of yarn with tape around one end. I told the children that today's story involved jewelry so we were going to make necklaces. I reminded them of how the Egyptians had given the Israelites jewelry before they left Egypt, urging them to go quickly so that God would send no more plagues. Well, this week we would hear about something that they did with that jewelry. This proved to be a very good activity for their little fingers, engaging their minds just enough to sit still, but allowing them to still be able to listen and to share. It also really did pique their interest in the story: "Could you hurry and tell us what they did?" Melanie asked as we were finishing up.
Then we moved to our Bible Story Table. I set up the feltboard, and chose children who were sitting quietly to come put pieces on the board as I told the story. I told about the restless people melting their jewelry and making a statue of a cow -- then worshipping it as though it had delivered them from Egypt and provided the manna for them to eat. I told them how wrong this was.
At this point in the story, I gave each of them a little flower and said, "That would be like if you gave your Mommy this flower and instead of saying thank you to you, she went over to the dog and hugged him and said, 'Oh, thank you, Dog, for this flower you gave me. I love you.' " They thought that was funny. I emphasized that Moses was angry with the people's sin, but went to God on their behalf, just as Jesus does for us all the time. God forgave His people, as He always does. He honored the promise He had made, His covenant with Abraham. For His name's sake, we know He will never give up on His people, even when they are faithless. God did send a consequence, a plague, (sin always brings consequences) but He didn't stop loving His people or being their God. What a wonderful story, and I could really tell that there was joy in their hearts as they heard it.
We made a line to go outside for Snack Time, with Mia as line leader and Lucas as doorholder. Melanie was so cooperative and helpful in this process, offering to be the caboose, and really helping to keep things on track. I gave the children golden strands of elastic and a handful of Cheerios and let them string and snack, while we talked about the story. I tried to make sure they understood what an idol was, a false god, one that could do nothing. There is only one true God. And we can make a good thing, like a toy or game, into an idol anytime we love it more than we love God. They were very emphatic in denouncing idols. The Parent Take-Home sheet has a very good section on reinforcing this with your child and helping them to identify idols in their own lives.
Then we went back inside for a game that would test how well they had listened. I gave each child an envelope and told them we were going to act out the story. I put some paper flames in the center of the floor. I recounted the first part of the story and when I told of the Israelites melting their jewelry, I called the children one by one, to open their envelopes. Each envelope contained a piece of gold jewelry. They put the jewelry in the "fire" and took a red paper flame, which had a question for them to answer written on the back.
The last question was about whether we obey all of God's commandments all of the time. Several of them nodded their heads saying "yes." So I said, "Well, have you ever told a lie?" All of them nodded "yes" some looking down sadly. I said, "Let's think for a minute about the things that we've done wrong, and then tell God that we're sorry." We bowed our heads and were quiet for a minute, then I prayed, along the line of this children's song: "For the things that I've done wrong/things that I remember long/ hurting friends and those I love/ I am very sorry, God." Then I reminded them that God always forgives us when we repent, and that the Law reminds us that we are sinners and need a Savior, someone who has followed every rule perfectly and gives us the credit for his goodness -- and we have One! Jesus! Isn't God good?
We went back to our table and worked on the Attributes of God book. We glued shiny gold foil to a picture of the idol and glued it to a page that says, "God is faithful even when His people are not. He honors His promises." We are making great progress on this book of Ten Attributes, which upon completion will earn each child a badge.
Saturday, 6 November 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment