This week we learned that God is in charge of every detail of our lives, as we heard how He used a humble, praying servant to choose a wife for Isaac from Abraham's own people.
The camels ended up stealing the spotlight, which wasn't my intention, but I'm fine with it as long as the children remember the story!
In our Opening Time, we drew with chalk and talked about choosing just the right color piece to make our pictures. When Bible Time came, I called up Brenton to choose a maraca from our different colors. He chose blue and all of the children asked, "Why?" He said, "I like blue!" That was the setup for our story -- about God picking something (rather, someone) for His own good pleasure.
Story time went well, as I told about Abraham's servant praying for God to show him the right girl to be Isaac's wife -- and asking that she would offer both he and his camels water. I mentioned that camels drink pitchers and pitchers of water -- so Rebekah must have had a real servant's heart to want to water them. The children liked that part so much!
Following the story, I set out numbered cups of water next to a toy camel sitting in his watering trough. I called the children up one at a time and let them find the correctly numbered cup, then asked a question about the story. If they got it right, which they all did, they got to pour the water in the trough for the camel (or over him!)
Next, I taught these bright children our 12th Scripture verse! We are beginning Psalm 121, which we practiced with a rebus puzzle. I had written the verse on paper but left certain words out, then had pictures of those words drawn on cards. We sang the verse, then I let the children take turns choosing the pictures and figuring out where to place them. We sing verses 1-2 to the tune of "Three Blind Mice." "I look to the hills/ I look to the hills/ From where does my help come?/ From where does my help come?/ My help comes from the Lord/ my help comes from the Lord/ who made the Heaven and Earth/ who made the heaven and earth!" (Psalm 121: 1-2) We took time to run through all the verses we have learned so far (shaking the maracas as we sang.) They are close to having them mastered. Check out the jingles on this blog site, and you can practice at home!
We finished our night by coloring our pictures and remembering that God cares about and controls every tiny detail of our lives!
Friday, 4 April 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment