Sunday, 6 March 2011

God Calls Samuel

This week, we learned how God is in control of all things and calls who He will, just as He called Samuel in the night. This story is so memorable, and I made the point that God is gracious to speak to us and make Himself known to us -- we could never know Him otherwise.

We opened our classtime by reviewing some of our verses. We have learned a total of 15 so far. We used several of our old puzzles and games to review Scriptures that we have already been working on.

Next, we used the fingers of gloves to make finger puppets of Eli and Samuel. The children remembered Eli from last week's story about Hannah, and my hope is that they will use and reuse these puppets to tell the story. (I got to see Emma doing just that when she was at my house the following Friday! She remembered the story and loved making Samuel run to Eli's side, then run back to bed. )

When I told the story in class, I used the feltboard again. This is really the perfect story to tell 5-year-olds, and adding the feltboard and felt pieces as blankets for Eli and Samuel really made it fun. I emphasized that God talks to His people, even little children, and that the most common way He talks to His people today is through His written Word, the Bible. I also told them that God has told us in His Bible some of the things He loves to hear when WE talk to HIM, which is called praying.

I had made envelopes with each of their names on them. Inside each envelope was one facet of prayer: I love you, Thank you, I'm sorry and Please. I explained each one, and then we went around our little group and prayed. (I am always blessed by praying with your children.)

We played a review game using a mesh basket and some foam "poppers." The children answered a question about the story and if they were correct they got a chance to either throw the popper or squeeze it between their fingers to "pop" it into the basket. They seemed to remember most of the details of the story quite well.

Then we glued green blankets to Samuel's bed and talked about the details of the story once more, including talking about whether Samuel missed his mommy. We rejoined the large group and said our goodnights! I pray your child is talking and "listening" to the Lord this week.

No comments: